Town of Jõgeva got its town rights in 1938, fast growing from the village to town took place during the 20th century. The main reason of fast development was the railroad built in t 1879. Town of Jõgeva was badly damaged during the World War II, when half of the towns' buildings burned to ground. In 1949, Jõgeva became the center of the county and several buildings were constructed here: culture hall, school, kindergartens, hospital, markets. The population increased very quickly, in 1991 more than 7000 residents lived in Jõgeva.
Jõgeva is located between big drumlins. The 4th highest hill of Estonia is located east from the town – the hill of Laiuse. River Pedja passes through the town. Climate in Jõgeva is known as the coldest in Estonia – Jõgeva holds the cold record of Estonia from the year of 1940 when there was -43,5 degrees cold in the town. Meanwhile, the summers here have continental climate and are warm.
Jõgeva is located by the historical Piibe highway. That was the main connecting road between Tallinn and Tartu during the World War II. The symbol of Jõgeva is the Towns' Good Spirit, which is located in the center of the town. Towns' Good Spirit has a mellow smile and is made by the sculptor Tauno Kangro.